Friday, August 3, 2012

Wisp


Maybe if I hadn't been so young
or loved with my whole heart
I could have looked instead of leapt
lived inside a work of art

I could have felt you breathe
and not be haunted by your smile
that lives behind my eyes
like the regrets of a child

But I didn't slow to think
didn't dare to take a chance
was afraid to wait or sink
or remain inside my trance

So I let you go
though it wasn't what I want
and toil every day
inside games of if and what

I've told myself since
at least I felt it once.
I can treasure the thought
like it's something that I won

But I lost.

Memory is vapor
that taunts the holder from the past
a gnawing reminder
that our kiss was the last

And like the smoke it is
recollection fades
slips through my desperate fingers
leaving nothing but a shade

How do I contend
with an incomplete dream?
With a door I slammed and locked?
With a past I can't redeem?

How can I navigate
my conscious’s cliffs and bluffs?
How do I move on
when a memory's not enough?



© 2012, Carolynn Staib, All Rights Reserved

1 comment: