Friday, August 3, 2012

Greetings From Michigan


How proud your mother must be, sword-bringer
And strange how often I wish she were me
I can claim no credit for who you are now, or who you’ve yet to be
Still, I fancy us scraps of the same tablecloth
Where yellow daises dissolve inside the mouths of moths

Rest, little tanager
I want you to be well
And to steady the light that pierces your shell
I’ll crash on the couch, you take the bed
Or hide in my soul and let it cradle your head

Futile devices though words may be, and I’ve no steel in my name
I hope you’ll listen to me
I see you wither with pain and loss
And deny your desires at any cost
Loving only through film-reels that burn in your brain
Of lakes and kisses and sunburns and shame

And while happiness is fragile
And fulfillment is death
The idea of you hurting stabs me in the chest

You’re right
You were not made for life, not on a rock so full of cracks
But the world is lighter because you lift it
All five parts upon your wasp-bitten back

You’ll be the first invited, little Atlas
To the parade among the trees
Your soul is the least impossible
Irrefutably (and if I accept you, so will he)



©2011, Carolynn Staib, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment