Friday, September 30, 2011

I am writer, hear me whine



People are judgmental. I guess it’s just how it is. I’m not sure how I became so easily affected by this but I have. Most people have a shield of achievements to deflect an attack of judgment. They have degrees, or you know, respectable incomes. So when some obscure, well-meaning relative says to them “you’re not doing anything with your life!” they can say; “on the contrary Uncle Milton (not sure why I chose Milton, just roll with it), I have a degree in whosewhatsit from the University of Hell and I make thirty-trillion dollars a year.” Though, I don’t think it would take quite so much to impress Uncle Milton, I suppose all it really takes is not trying to become recognized for something that he deems trivial.

I know I’ve got kindreds out there but I feel alone. It’s like most people are living on Earth, comfortable beneath a protective atmosphere that springs into action to incinerate the meteorites of others’ judgment. I feel like I’m on the Moon, with no atmosphere of conventional achievements to protect me, huddling beneath a manuscript while a rain of asteroids hammers down on my head. Ouch.

People only see me when they want to tell me I’m wrong. I want to be visible. I want my efforts to matter.

::whine, whine, whine::

4 comments:

  1. I used to apologize for not having all those things you mention ... but there is a lot on the other side of the coin, too. If you wanted that Hell U. sweatshirt or the thirty trillion dollar a year job - you'd have gone for that in some way. But you're a writer, and what you have you cultivate. Talent's better than the Uncle Miltys' understanding, and comfort in your own skin is better than approval. Breathe! You earned every bit as much oxygen as anybody with different braggin' rights ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::Gasp:: I'm visible!

    Thanks so much, I really appreciate your encouragement :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee - of course you're visible. I only disappeared because IE is a persnickety thing and was messing with my Google account, and I do apologize. I've gone Chrome, so have returned. :)

    ReplyDelete