Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Flash

I recently challenged myself to write a story under 140 words. This is what I came up with.



In the Beginning

The hydraulic door sealed with a hiss. Ten. I submitted to the memory of Earth, a place I would never see again, a place that would live only in my mind. Nine. The ship shook, and I heard her terrified breaths beside me. She was still a stranger. Eight. Why couldn’t it have been my wife? She was outside now, watching me flee with the one woman left able to procreate. Seven. Soon our planet would expire along with everyone we loved, and there was no guarantee we’d reach Eden before we died ourselves. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. There was an intense pressure like I’d never felt, softened only by the fearful fingers now grasping my own. What could I do but embrace my fate? Eve was my last hope, mankind’s last hope. Liftoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment